Our comprehensive instructor training course will give you the skills and tools to effectively teach self defence. We are committed to providing you with the best training philosophy, concepts and techniques you need to be successful, whether you are taking the course for professional development or would like to run your own business and become a fully certified self defence instructor – with a certificate awarded by the UK Self Defence and Martial Arts Guild (UK SDMAG).
The course is a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical sessions. It is designed to be fully immersive giving instructors over a 12 week duration the proficiency to teach self defence in a professional, fun and structured manner to people regardless of their age and fitness ability.
The training is tough, challenging and fast paced. If you have prior military experience then you will have some idea of what is involved. You will train whatever the weather in hail, snow and torrential rain. Becoming a Combat Academy instructor is a badge of honour that you will win and wear with pride. If you are reading this and think that it sounds amazing then you are probably the right kind of person and we want to hear from you.
The instructor training course is delivered on weekends over a 3 month period. The course can also be taken in an intensive 4 / 5 day block. If you are already a fitness instructor or PT you can complete the course even more quickly.
The course is physically intensive and upon completion you will become a Level 1 certified instructor and will be able to run courses and regular training classes to beginners, kids and women only until you have more experience. Before you can start teaching YOU WILL need to apply for a UK SDMAG licence.
- No previous martial arts experience is required as full training will be given. Our training is designed to take an individual with no experience and train them as a grade 1 instructor within 12 weeks. We are looking for individuals with plenty of drive, enthusiasm, positive attitude, business experience and natural leadership skills. We are keen to work with ex-military personnel but it is not a pre-requisite.
- Ability to pass a CRB/DBS check.
- Good levels of basic health and physical fitness – allowances will be made for injuries.
- Become a licensed UK SDMAG instructor.
- Concepts and strategies
- Personal safety
- Threat assessment and planning
- Types of attack and methodology (DEFOF physical module)
- Structure and running a class
- Health and safety
- Working with children
- The law and reasonable force
- Business management
Once you have been certified as an instructor, there will be an opportunity for you to further your training as part of your continuous professional development and progress your skills. You will learn and perfect additional techniques through the Combat Academy grading system. The system has levels 1 through to 8. Upon initial qualification, your grade will be an instructor at grade 1.
The Combat Academy instructor certificate costs £800 plus VAT.
Upon completion you will receive a certificate from the UK SDMAG. Once certified, you will need to apply for a licence which costs £20 plus VAT per month.
How to apply
Please click on the link below to apply. Once we receive your request we will contact you to discuss the course and progress with your application.Apply Here
If you would like more information or have a question on our instructor training programme please contact us: